Tuesday 25 September 2012

Indian Prisoners Of War In Pakistani Jails

54 Indian soldiers were lost during the 1971 Indo-Pak and we are still unaware as to where they are! Sons of India who fought for Her honor and were later forgotten. Concrete evidence has filtered over time to establish that Indian Prisoners of War are being held in Pakistani jails. Over the past 42 years the relatives of these missing soldiers have been consistently pleading with both the Indian and Pakistani authorities to show mercy and facilitate their release; to no effect. It is time for us to join hands to finally bring our soldiers back home.







Last Letter Received From Maj Ashok Suri




Maj Ashok Suri, was declared killed in action untill his father Dr. Suri received two letters from his son during 1974 and 1975 stating that he and twenty other Indian military officers were languishing in Pakistani jails. Handwriting experts confirmed that the letter was indeed written by Maj Ashok Suri.













Fighter pilot Flt Lt V V Tambay Shot Down and Captured Alive


The Sunday Pakistan Observer, dated 5 Dec 1971 reported from Rawalpindi for 4 Dec 1971 that five Indian pilots had been shot down and captured alive. One of them was Flt Lt Tambay. Tambay's wife had a chance meeting in 1978 with a Bangladeshi Naval Officer who was taken prisoner in Pakistan during the war. In Lyallpur jail he had came across a person named Tambay. The officer remembered that Tambay had a scar on the chin (which was true she confirmed) Daljit Singh, who was repatriated from Pakistan on 24 Mar 1988 had last seen Flight Lieutenant Tambay at the Lahore Interrogation Centre in Feb 1978.



Veer Chakra - Capt Ravinder Kaura

His name was announced on Radio Lahore on 7 Dec 1991 as one of the captured PW’s. His photograph was smuggled into India from a Pakistani jail and published by a newspaper in Ambala in 1972. Someone who had been with Captain Kaura in the Pakistani jail came to see L.D.Kaura (Ravinder's father) in 1979 (The Govt. of India had in the meantime declared Captain Kaura dead and awarded him a Veer Chakra posthumously. Further information came in that Captain Kaura was being kept in Lahore, Multan, Sahiwal and Rawalpindi jails. Mukhtiar Singh, repatriated from Pakistan on 5 July 1988 said that Captain Kaura was in Multan jail around 1981 and was presently held in Kot Lakhpat jail.




Maj Ashok Ghosh Missing In Action In Fazilka Theater Of Operations
                      
Major AK Ghosh was the youngest of five brothers. He joined the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun and joined the 15th Rajput Regiment. Ashutosh Ghosh his elder brother said that his kid brother had always seen their father and three elder brothers in uniform and it was only natural that he, Maj Ashok Ghosh don the olive greens. During the 1971 war Major Ghosh, (barely 25) an infantry company column to defend India's borders in the Fazilka theatre of operations in Punjab. His family received a telegram that Major AK Ghosh was missing and presumed killed in action. Time magazine of 27 Dec 1971 carried a photograph of an Indian prisoner behind bars in a Pakistani jail. The photo turned out to be that of Major A.K.Ghosh who failed to return with the Indian POWs repatriated to India later.







About this Blogger 

I am the daughter of one of these brave men. I was barely 8 months old when my father Maj Ashok Ghosh went to defend our country and never returned. All I have is a photograph of him carrying me in his lap. I appeal to you all to support my quest in getting these brave soldiers back home. Please join my blog to show your support for this just cause. Let us, at least in their old age, give them the dignity and honor that they much deserve. Any information regarding these lost soldiers shall be much welcome.








21 comments:

  1. let us get our soldiers back home

    Nischay Brar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi i have been following this case for a long time my heart is with u really wish i could do something

      Delete
    2. All these years we have played cricket with them...knowing that they had trapped our loved ones...none of our primeministers ever raised the issue aggressively...my heart really feels for u...tht was no justice

      Delete
  2. I echo above sentiment, let's get our soldiers back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maj Ashok Ghosh is a real Hero of every Indian. Our government should take necessary action to bring him back home.
    A salute to him from an Ex- Air Force man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plight of the "Missing 54" is truly tragic. My heart-felt sympathies for what you are going through. I hope you get to see your father again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Indira Gandhis fault. We won the war but when we see cases such as above, what use is that victory. The govt and clearly Indira Gandhi failed to negotiate. I also wonder how did the army (the very institution they served) kept mum on this extremely sensitive matter. I cannot imagine the trauma ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nilanjana
    I am a journalist and I have been following this whole issue for a while.
    My father is also an army officer who was in the 1971 war and he lost a lot of friends and officers during the war as Pows.
    In my quest to start finding leads to do something about it concretely, I came across your blog today.
    I would most definitely like to work with you to help you getting to the bottom of the matter.
    Do let me know how I could get in touch with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my heart boils when i see my soldiers in pakistan jails .. indian govt is shameless , they cant respect our soldiers . i love my soldiers and i salute all the POWs families who fight alone and i am ashamed to be a silent indian on POWs . i ll raise the issue ,my twitter handle is @military_indian and @spread_Revolt . jai hind

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I am from Bangladesh. I just read your blog. Please accept salute from the people of Bangladesh,

    I work here in an English daily. Can I use some of your posts and photos from your blog? I want to do something. In fact I have to do something because your country and soldiers like your father supported our war. And it was our war for what your father is still missing.

    Respect and love once again.

    Anik1105@gmail.com
    phone : +8801911449741

    ReplyDelete
  9. what should we do now ? what you plan?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with u guys lets do something for them

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have lost everything so i nothing dare. I am alone in the world before my death i want to do something for war heroes. I will readily accept my death if i can contribute least . Take it seriously my no is 9732556227

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello friends my dad was an army officer he participated in 71 war. I know about all this I am with my own try to gather more details
    If any body wants to contact me or wants to join on watts aap are most welcome . My number is 09936695124

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    We with you we should support and respect our solders sacrificing. Can't be forget there sacrificing for our mother land. Salute to all solders. Jai Hind

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope one day .. I could avenge.. I could ruin "That Nation" under the tracks of my tanks. I could blow up those jails with my canon .. where my braves are hanged between life and death.. Bow down to all of those.. you paid a really great prize for our nation.. JAi Hind

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello everyone. I am writing a book on our missing defence personnel. Need to contact Nilanjana Ghosh urgently. Can anyone forward me her telephone number. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alternatively, I can be contacted on 7986937726.

    ReplyDelete